It is double trouble for Delhiites. While the Delhi and central governments were getting ready to tackle vector-borne diseases in the city this monsoon, the deadly swine flu virus is taking on alarming propositions, claiming five lives and infecting dozens.
A 25-year-old patient at RML and another at AIIMS became the latest victims of the H1N1 virus.
A doctor at RML told MAIL TODAY, “Naveen, 25, was admitted last week to the swine flu ward for treatment. He died on July 21 last week. Earlier in April, we had reported the death of 65-year-old Jairaj Singh from Shakarpur due to influenza virus.”
“So far, RML hospital has witnessed 33 positive cases of swine flu. While 22 patients are from Delhi, 11 are from other states such as Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh,” he added.
Meanwhile, AIIMS also reported one death last week.
AIIMS director Randeep Guleria said, “One patient died at the respiratory ward while undergoing swine flu treatment. He was in severe condition and we had put him on echmo, but he had lungs failure.”
“We still have three patients in ICU on ventilator,” he added.
320 CASES, TWO DEATHS
Earlier this week, the Union health ministry released its data in which it said that Delhi has reported at least 320 swine flu cases with two deaths.
The two deaths were reported at Lok Nayak Hospital and a private hospital in April. According to doctors, this year H1N1 virus reported early in the city at the time of monsoon which is unusual.
Earlier this year, researchers at the National Institute of Virology (NIV) in Pune, run by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), isolated a new strain called the Michigan strain as part of the on-going H1N1 surveillance in the country. Health experts said at a time more than 100 cases of dengue, chikungunya and malaria are being reported by municipal corporations, the sudden spurt in swine flu cases in Delhi is a worrying development.
“In Delhi, the situation is normal. We have sufficient stocks for more than two months to deal with the swine flu crisis,” Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain had said after MAIL TODAY broke the story on swine flu.
SM Raheja, additional D-G, Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) told MAIL TODAY, “We are ready to deal with the crisis. Surveillance has been increased and doctors at all major hospitals such as Lok Nayak, GTB, Ambedkar, DDU have been alerted. Dedicated isolation wards of HINI patients has been set up. Public awareness campaigns, hoarding have also been put up. There is nothing to worry about at present moment.”