1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the country’s third Mahamana Express from his Lok Sabha constituency of Varanasi today, he said in a tweet last night.
5. The Mahamana Express will have 18 coaches – one AC 1st Class coach, two Second AC, eight sleeper and four general coaches, one pantry car and two guard brake vans. There is no AC-3 tier coach in the train.
6. With plush interiors, the Mahamana Express includes ergonomically designed ladders for climbing to upper berths, snack tables for side berths, windows with powered venetian blinds and roller blinds, LED lights as berth indicators and LED reading lights. It also comes with fire extinguishers in all coaches and an electrically operated chimney in the pantry car.
7. Offering passengers the best sanitation facilities, the train’s toilets have platform washbasins, bigger mirrors, an odour control system, exhaust fans and dustbins.
8. The train will traverse four states and has scheduled stops at Bharuch and Surat in Gujarat; Amalner and Bhusawal in Maharashtra; Itarsi, Jabalpur, Katni and Satna in Madhya Pradesh; and Chheoki in Uttar Pradesh, before terminating at Varanasi.
9. Built under the Make in India initiative, the Mahamana Express currently runs on the Varanasi-New Delhi and Bhopal-Khajuraho routes.
10. The train is named after former Hindu Mahasabha president Madan Mohan Malviya, who was also addressed as ‘Mahamana’.