air hostess
Crime India

Husband drove Delhi air hostess to suicide, family claims

The family of a 39-year-old air hostess, who allegedly committed suicide on July 13, has raised fears that the police investigation into her death may be misled by her husband who they say used to regularly assault her.

According to the air hostess’s family and friends, she was a victim of domestic violence and was also being harassed for dowry. That may have pushed her to kill herself, the family has said.

39-year-old Anissia Batra killed herself by jumping off the terrace of her residence in south Delhi’s Panchsheel Park on July 13. Her husband rushed her to a nearby hospital, where she was declared brought dead. Anissia was employed as a flight attendant with a German airline.

A case of unnatural death has been registered at New Delhi’s Hauz Khas police station and cops have invoked sections related to dowry harassment.

Anissia’s family has expressed fears that her husband Mayank Singhvi, a software engineer in Gurgaon, may try to interfere with the police investigation. “We fear that Mayank through his political connections is trying to hamper the investigation. We also fear that it wasn’t just [a simple case of] suicide,” Anissia’s brother Karan Batra said.

Anissia’s mother, in her statement to the police, has alleged that Mayank used regularly to assault Anissia. “Anissia had called me on the third day of her marriage, claiming that she had been assaulted by Mayank during their honeymoon. We then tried counselling and things went to back to normal for a few days, however, almost after a week he again began assaulting her,” the air hostess’s mother told the police.

The First Information Report also mentions that Mayank had hid the fact that he was married once before from Anissia has her family. Anissia and Mayank had been married for a little over two years.


According to Anissia and Mayank’s neighbours, the couple had a “heated argument” on July 13. A neighbour who heard the argument wasn’t able to give more details saying that he soon left home for some work.

“[However], when I came back the security guards narrated the news [of Anissia’s suicide],” Amarpal Singh Kohli, the neighbour, said. Kohli also said that Anissia’s family had previously sought his help in mediating the problems between Anissia and Mayank.

“Anissia’s parents had once approached me asking me to mediate [between the couple] and they had also narrated how Anissia was assaulted [by Mayank],” Kohli said.

Meanwhile, Anissia’s friends came to have received texts from her on July 13 in which she alleged that her husband had locked her inside a room at the couple’s Panchsheel Park home. “Soon after, her last message followed in which she said that she is taking the extreme step,” a friend, on the condition of anonymity, said.

Cops investigating the suicide are probing all possible angles behind Anissia’s suicide and an inquiry headed by a sub-divisional magistrate has also been initiated to look into the allegations of dowry harassment.

Mayank or his family could not be reached to comment on the allegations levelled by Anissia’s family.



News credit : Indiatoday

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *