Amritsar attack
India Politics

Amritsar attack: Punjab CM says ISI is responsible

Seventy-two hours after the Amritsar grenade attack, targeting Nirankari Satsang Bhawan, the Punjab government announced the arrest of one of the two perpetrators. The suspect, Bikramjit Singh alias Bikram (26 years), a resident of Dhariwal village, was arrested near Loharka village.

A manhunt has been launched to nab the other accused, identified as Avtar Singh, a resident of Ajnala. Three persons were killed and 15 injured in the terror act unleashed, allegedly by ISI-backed Khalistani forces in Pakistan.

Based on Bikram’s statement, the police now believe that the grenade was provided to the assailants by Harmeet Singh alias Happy alias PhD, a Khalistani extremist operating from Lahore, is said to have earlier masterminded the conspiracy to carry out the targeted killings of right-wing leaders in 2016-17, in collaboration with Pakistani establishment and the ISI.

According to Bikramjit, Avtar Singh was in touch with one Happy in Pakistan, who had got the hand grenade dumped near the Orchard near Majitha through some of his other associates.

Addressing a media conference in Chandigarh, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh disclosed that Pakistan ISI was behind the Amritsar terror attack.

“Hand grenade 84 are made by Pakistan Ordinance Factory. It has small pellets that fling to a distance, resulting in massive injuries,” he said.

He said, “Harmeet Singh Phd is a Pakistani tout backed by the ISI. They are planning large scale killing in state.”

The CM ruled out any religious motivation behind the attack and described it as yet another attempt by Pakistan to carry out terrorist actions in Punjab to disturb the peace in the state. It was in ISI’s interest to keep the border disturbed to ensure internal peace in Pakistan, said Capt Amarinder.

Attempts by ISI and Pakistan establishment to forge linkages between Punjabi and Kashmiri terrorist groups is a matter of serious security concern for Punjab, said the Chief Minister, adding that the state police was working closely with central agencies to check the spread of such forces. His government was committed to ensuring that nobody was allowed to disturb the state’s hard-earned peace and harmony, he asserted. The CM said that there had been only two terror attacks in the state in 2018, and Sunday’s incident, and both had been cracked by the police. The sacrilege cases that had taken place in the last 18 months had also been solved.

 

 

News credit : Indiatoday

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *