Water logging, wall collapse, road cave-in and now death due to disease. Mumbai’s list of monsoon woes keeps growing.
On Monday, Bharat Kale, 15, from Kurla’s Milan Nagar died at the Lokmanya Tilak Municipal General Hospital (popularly called Sion hospital) because of leptospirosis infection.
According to doctors treating him, Kale picked up the infection while playing football in muddy waters during rains.
Leptospirosis is a disease caused by bacteria. Symptoms include fever, headache and chills. According to Medicinenet.com the infection is passed from the urine of infected animals (such as dogs, cats, cattle) “that subsequently contaminate water, soil…The bacteria then infect humans when they invade through breaks in the skin…”.
Dr Padmaja Keskar, executive health officer, Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC), said, “The death will be confirmed after the review of the epidemiological investigation committee report. As of now, it is being seen as a suspected death due to leptospirosis.”
Another patient, aged 40 years, has been admitted to the Sion hospital with symptoms of leptospirosis; his condition is critical. The patient had been admitted with breathlessness and has been put on a ventilator.
Kale was a student of class 9 and used to travel to his school in Chembur near Vashi Naka. According to BMC, when the first showers began in the city residents of Milan Nagar were administered doxycycline (an antibiotic) as a precautionary measure, but the boy missed the dosage because he had gone to school. The dosage is effective for 48 hours.
Dr Keskar said that the civic body has started spreading awareness of leptospirosis disease in areas which are prone to waterlogging. People who walk through accumulated rain water must immediately wash their feet and visit a doctor if exposed for more than half an hour.”
News credit : Indiatoday